I Need a Website for My Small Business! – Building a Business Site in 7 Steps
Introduction – I Need a Website for My Small Business!
In this article, I am going to share with you my own experience of the best methods I used to start a website for my small business.
After the outbreak of Covid-19, many businesses were bankrupted and many had to close. However, this was not a real downer since these businesses could always do their stuff online. But they never did.
Covid-19, however, terrifying and also a nightmare for the world but was a clear testimony to the importance of having an online business in the digital era.
On the other hand, on these years of technology, it’s unbelievable for a business not to have an online presence. Nowadays, most of the consumers are looking for the stuff they need to buy online, so losing this opportunity would be a mistake.
There are 2 methods to have your first website for your small business:
- The Best Companies to Build You a Website
- The Best Website Builders for Small Businesses
So without wasting time anymore, let’s see what we expect from this article.
We are going to cover the 7 most important steps you need to take in order to start your very own business website online.
1. Find the Best Companies That Can Create You a Website or Take the Difficult Road
First of all, you certainly have got other important things to keep an eye on and surely don’t have much time to get your hands dirty with website building stuff.
Therefore, a wise thing to do would be finding the best companies to build you a website or to find the best website builders for small businesses.
So, the above companies at the left are the best agencies you can trust with your project to build you a website.
On the right though, you can see the websites by which you can create a website yourself. However, if you don’t have the time or you don’t have the experience then you better go with the first option.
Also, if you want a more secure, maintained, beautifully designed and optimized in terms of SEO then the first option would be the absolute best option for you.
When I need a website for my small business I actually choose the first option, because let’s suppose my website is an eCommerce website and its security is then very important to me. So I need a professional team to work on it rather than a platform that everybody use.
2. Set Goals and Determine the Main Purpose of the Website
Now that you have decided if you want to create the website yourself or let the experts handle it, you need to determine what your website is going to present to the consumers in the first place.
It is of utmost importance that when users visit your website, with a first glance they understand what you are offering them.
This means that your website needs to be optimized in term of content.
There several elements that can serve this goal:
- An optimized domain name: for example, a name that represents your brand or your products
- Content of the first section on your website: Your website’s first section is called sometimes the Hero section. It is the first section that the visitor sees, so make sure to make the content in that very much related to the main thing your business does.
- Images and the overall design: If you are running an eCommerce website, then the website is design like one. The images in the eCommerce (for example cloths) represent what your business does.
It is very important to consider the UI/UX of your website and this is another reason you’d better go with the first option and let the experts design your website based on your niche.
3. Choosing a Web Host
Every website needs a memory to save its data on, right?
Yap, so if you need a website for your small business you should choose a company to build it for you or choose a website builder.
The website builders usually have their own hosts so you won’t have any problems there.
But if you decide to let the experts do it then you need a host as well.
You need to choose one that is secure and safe and has a good support.
The followings are the ones we suggest:
- Bluehost – Best Web Host
- Dreamhost – Most Affordable Web Host
- HostGator – Most Flexible Plans in Web Hosts
- Hostinger – Cheapest Web Host
- A2 Hosting – Best Shared Web Host
- GreenGeeks – Best In Support
- WP Engine – Best WordPress Web Host
- Inmotion – Best For VPS Hosting
- SiteGround – Best Customer Service Web Host
4. Determine the Pages for Your Website
Depending on the niche of your business and website you will need different pages for a website. Certainly a website with only a homepage is the most boring thing I have ever heard in all my life. 🙂
In any case, there’s a bright side to this as well.
Yes, there is the fact that for different website, need different pages, however, for all website there are also several pages which are the same between all of them.
The same pages for all website are (in case it’s an e-Commerce website):
- Contact Us
- About Us
- Sign Up
5. Your Website Need a Payment System
There are numerous payment systems out there, but based on your CMS and also your business requirements you need to choose the best payment system for your online store.
Here is the list of 10 Excellent Online Payment Systems:
- Google Checkout
- Amazon Payments
- Samurai by FeeFighters
This 5th step is a bit dependent on your preference or bank account or even country of residence.
6. Publish and Market Your Website
Before publishing and launching the website, you need to do several things:
- Make sure your website does not have any bugs or errors
- Run a test on all the pages and flows to make sure a user can sign up and purchase and everything works like a charm
- Submit your website’s sitemap to major search engines like Google, Bing, or Yandex.
- Start pre-marketing your website using the phone numbers, emails or anything else you have form your customers
- Run email marketing campaigns
- Create your business social media and start marketing your business on social media and start brand awareness
You are all set and your website for your small business is already online. Bravo!
7. You need Website Maintenance Services for Your Website
No website can thrive without keep-up. You need to run several services on a routine for your website so that it stays healthy and at the top on Google.
Yes, that’s right. If you want your website for your small business to be #1 on Google ranking then you certainly need SEO optimization and also general maintenance services like Speed optimization or Site Audit.
I need a website for my small business, Yes, I do need one. After the above information do you know which road I’d gladly take?
In my experience, I believe the best option is the first one. I will choose the best companies to build you a website.
That’s because experts know what they are doing and they can do it best. Also, the website builders are a waste of money, because you need to pay it for the rest of your life and it’s not branded and designed customized to your business.
Also, security is not guaranteed on these kinds of platforms.
In any case, they are not that bad since they are the cheaper options, but if you want to grow then you need to start strong and that needs a bit of paying.